International relations

Institutional policy

The Office of International Relations (Bureau des Relations Internationales - BRI) at the Charlemagne Institute of Higher Education (Haute École Charlemagne - HECh) welcomes you.
The BRI is situated next to the Meuse in Liège, a vibrant, welcoming city that is more than 1000 years old.

City of Liège

Erasmus Charter

Annexe 1


International relations are handled by the Office of International Relations (BRI), which reports directly to the President of the HECh.

The BRI’s competence lies in the conclusion of contracts with foreign partners that are signed in the context of the European Erasmus+ programme and the extra-European Fund for Aiding Student Mobility (Fonds d'aide à la mobilité dans l'enseignement supérieur (FAMES)). It also manages projects financed by other organisations. It centralises and guarantees supervision of records for students and teachers benefiting from mobility aid (Erasmus+, Erasmus Belgica, Fonds d'aide à la mobilité dans l'enseignement supérieur (FAMES), various commissions, Wallonia-Quebec, etc).

Information on the exchange programmes and the partners is collated here. The BRI establishes contact between foreign partners and the coordinators of each department. The latter are responsible for setting up programmes of study and placements for mobility students and for welcoming foreign teachers and students.

Students Incoming

General information

Once the HECh has received the selection of candidate students for an academic stay from the institution of origin, the incoming students need to submit to the BRI, before June 15 (for the 1st term or full year) or before November 15 (for the 2nd term), a correctly completed completed enrolment form  and learning agreement.

The exchange is only possible following approval of the programme of studies by the authorities of the university of origin and by the coordinator in the HECh department concerned.

Level B1 in the common European reference framework for languages is required to pursue courses at the HECh. Students for whom the exchange programme includes active teaching placements will need to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of French (level B2 in the common European reference framework for languages).

Except in the case of one-off activities, and with the exception of language courses, the courses will be delivered in French.

A "French language and culture" module is obligatory for all exchange students. Enrolment form

Although no registration fee is due to the heCh for students from partner institutions, costs will nevertheless be billed for course notes, excursions, study trips, travel to internship sites, etc.

Credit system

ECTS – European Credits Transfert System

The ECTS is the system used by universities and colleges for mobility. It enables a learning agreement to be established between the student, the host institution and the institution of origin. Each course is given an ECTS credit value.

The number of ECTS credits given to each teaching unit is calculated as a function of the overall volume of work the student needs to do to achieve the results expected at the end of that teaching unit. This is not restricted to the hours of course attendance alone but includes practical learning activities and the student’s personal work time.

Academic recognition

60 ECTS credits represent the workload for an academic year, so, generally speaking, 30 ECTS credits correspond to one four-month term of study.

The programme of courses pursued at the heCh is specified in the learning agreement made with the approval of the departmental coordinator at the university of origin.

The credits are awarded following a positive skills evaluation.

The ECTS system is founded on the principle of transparency of results. Hence, at the end of the stay, the heCh will send the academic report to the departmental coordinator at the university of origin. Only the courses taken under the learning agreement will appear on the official academic report.

Scale of ECTS credits at the heCh

ECTS % of students admitted who achieved the grade Qualitative scale Numerical scale
A 10 Excellent 18 - 20
B 25 Very good 16 - 17
C 30 Good 14 - 15
D 25 Satisfactory 12 - 13
E 10 Pass 10 - 11
F / Unsatisfactory <10

A national identity card is sufficient for students from the European Union.

Students from countries outside of the European Union must apply for a visa as soon as possible at the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in your country. All updated information is available on the website of the Foreigners' Office of the FPS Interior.

Under the terms of Belgian law, anyone intending to stay in Belgium for longer than three months is required to register with the local authority in their place of residence.

Healthcare and insurance

Medical services

In Belgium, the choice of doctor is unrestricted.

If you wish to consult a general practitioner, you can visit the following website:

You can also go to a medical centre:

Health and healthcare insurance

All foreign students living in Belgium must be covered by a health care insurance called "mutuelle" (complete list). The insurance covers part of the medical, pharmaceutical and hospitalization costs, which are very expensive in Belgium, so it is essential to find out in your home country if your organization covers your medical costs in Belgium.

EU students are insured by their own national system. You must therefore apply in your country for the European Health Insurance Card, valid for a maximum of one year. With this card, you will be able to register for free in a Belgian mutual insurance company as soon as you arrive in order to be reimbursed for part of your medical or pharmaceutical expenses in Belgium.

If you are a student in the Bachelor - Medical Laboratory Technologist program, you must be in order to be vaccinated against hepatitis B. Please contact the Biomedical Department. 

If you have come from a country outside of the EU, you will be required to have social security cover, either by way of fully comprehensive insurance taken out in your own country or by arranging insurance in Belgium.


Please find out about the insurance cover you will have while abroad from your university of origin.

In case of doubt, or to increase your cover, consider additional insurance such as travel insurance.

The guarantees of the school insurance policy for civil liability and bodily injury, subscribed by the French Community, benefit the students of the HECh:

  • in the context of learning and extracurricular activities organised under the authority of the divisional director or his/her deputy;
  • on the most direct route that they take from their home or residence to participate in activities, on an academic site, or on the return journey; for all activities appearing in their programme of studies.

The Haute Ecole does not manage any accommodation. 

However, before departure, we advise students to take two steps to facilitate the search for accommodation:

  • Make a reservation for a few nights at the Youth Hostel one week before departure. This temporary accommodation will allow students to keep their belongings safe while they visit potential accommodations. The following link will give you the necessary information for booking the hostel:
  • Consult the list of available accommodations on the sites listed below. Select the ones you like and schedule appointments to visit the premises with the owners of the establishments.

In Belgium, a student accommodation is called a “Kot”. A student who lives in a “Kot” is called a “Kotteur”.


Our Alumni recommend : 
Erasmusu : 30% discount : HECH30  

Social networks 

Facebook Group

« Kot à Liège » 

« Erasmus Belgium » 

« Gembloux à louer » 

Important points about accommodation: 

If you choose to reserve an accommodation before your arrival, make sure you do not sign a lease contract before you have had the opportunity to visit the kot/apartment in order to avoid unpleasant surprises! Also, do not hesitate to take pictures of the accommodation as soon as you arrive as a security measure. 

Here are some criteria to check when looking for accommodation :

  • furnished accommodation,          
  • location,
  • close to public transportation, 
  • Wifi,
  • charges included (heating, electricity, water, etc.) or not,           
  • deposit to be paid,
  • common areas,
  • lease with recent photos.
Think Green

You want to make your Erasmus experience as eco-friendly as possible? Erasmus Green has everything you need!

Their website ( is full of tips and tricks to reduce your carbon footprint during your stay:

  • Sustainable transportation: Opt for walking, biking, public transportation, or carpooling for your daily commutes. This way, you'll explore the city while preserving the environment!

  • Adopt responsible eating habits: Consume local and seasonal products, reduce your meat consumption, and choose tap water over plastic bottles.

  • Reduce waste: Sort your waste, avoid food waste, and use reusable products.

To help you better understand your environmental impact, you can calculate your carbon footprint via:

By knowing your current carbon footprint, you can set concrete goals to reduce it throughout your Erasmus stay.

In addition to these tips, don't hesitate to explore other resources available on the Erasmus Green website. You'll find information on sustainable initiatives implemented by partner universities and cities, as well as testimonials from Erasmus students who have adopted a more eco-friendly lifestyle.